Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Robert Novak: My Role in the Valerie Plame Leak Story

Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald has informed my attorneys that, after two and one-half years, his investigation of the CIA leak case concerning matters directly relating to me has been concluded. That frees me to reveal my role in the federal inquiry that, at the request of Fitzgerald, I have kept secret.

I have cooperated in the investigation while trying to protect journalistic privileges under the First Amendment and shield sources who have not revealed themselves. I have been subpoenaed by and testified to a federal grand jury. Published reports that I took the Fifth Amendment, made a plea bargain with the prosecutors or was a prosecutorial target were all untrue.

For nearly the entire time of his investigation, Fitzgerald knew -- independent of me -- the identity of the sources I used in my column of July 14, 2003. A federal investigation was triggered when I reported that former Ambassador Joseph Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame Wilson, was employed by the CIA and helped initiate his 2002 mission to Niger. That Fitzgerald did not indict any of these sources may indicate his conclusion that none of them violated the Intelligence Identities Protection Act.


FULL STORY

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 1:54:00 PM , Blogger Chuck said...

"That Fitzgerald did not indict any of these sources may indicate his conclusion that none of them violated the Intelligence Identities Protection Act."

Or that he's either been in bush's back pocket for some time ~or~ was "gotten to" somewhere along the line. I addressed this last night too.

Sickening (but expected) that Rove will skate.

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:29:00 PM , Blogger EAPrez said...

Those types are all cowards chuck - the ones with real courage are the kids who appear in the next post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home