Thursday, May 18, 2006

Black Jack, Mo., To Evict Unmarried Couples With Children From Homes

Think you didn't have a stake in gay rights issues? Think again. The right is now going after unmarried hetrosexuals who don't fit their definition of 'family'. There needs to be an immediate boycott of this city and the state of Missouri if need be. This is unbelievable. This is the same as the old laws forbidding interracial marriages. Brings to mind this little ditty by Martin Nieomoller, " In Germany they came first for the Communists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me--and by that time no one was left to speak up."

The city council in Black Jack, Mo., has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together. The mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

The town's planning and zoning commission proposed a change in the law, but the measure was rejected Tuesday by the city council in a 5-3 vote.

"I'm just shocked," Shelltrack said. "I really thought this would all be over, and we could go on with our lives."

Mayor Norman McCourt said starting Wednesday the city will begin trying to evict groups who do not fit into Black Jack’s definition of family, reports CBS affiliate KMOV-TV in St. Louis.

FULL STORY

1 Comments:

At Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:35:00 AM , Blogger Eli Blake said...

Hmmm.

Where does that stop? I wonder, are there any people in Black Jack who have children from previous marriages? If your teenager gets pregnant, do you have to evict her under the statute? Have any of the people there had a divorce (because if you read the Bible literally, it says that if a man marries a woman who has been divorced then they are committing adultery).

If my wife and I weren't already happily married, I'd be tempted to move there just to sue them (I'm sure the ACLU would love to handle that case.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home